This has been on my to-do list forEVER. Our son eats more food than I do and he’s only 4. We are concerned about future grocery bills.
So in an effort to fill him up with healthy, filling food, I searched for a good granola recipe. And found about 10 that sounded amazing! Well a few weeks ago we found out that our son is also lactose intolerant, so out the window went all the recipes with butter!!
So with some combining and rearranging, I managed to put together a dairy free recipe! (I know there’s probably TONS out there, but I had a son who wanted to help me bake NOW. No time for internet! haha)
So for those who asked for the recipe here it is!! One of my goals for this year is to start sharing recipes more! I miss it!!
oh yea, and yes I have already tried two bowls of it. One with yogurt, one without. And a small handful here and there as I walk by. It’s DELISH!
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup maple syrup (atleast 15% pure maple syrup!)
2 large egg whites
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp grated orange zest (I didn’t have any so I skipped this, but want to try it next time! It sounds so yummy!)
4 cups old fashioned oats (NOT the quick oats!)
1 cup unsalted nuts (I used chopped pecans, pumpkin seeds and slivered almonds)
2 cups mixed dried fruit (I used 1 cup dried cranberries, half cup raisins and half a cup of shredded unsweetened coconut – LOVE the coconut in it!!)
- Preheat oven to 275
- Place honey, maple syrup, egg whites, oil, vanilla, spices, and orange zest into bowl and blend well. Set 1/2 cup aside in smaller bowl.
- In the main bowl, add oats and nuts and mix until well combined.
- Spread in thin layer onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
- While baking, add the dried fruit to reserved half a cup of honey mixture.
- Once finished baking, add dried fruit mix. Combine well. Bake for another 45 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Let cool. It will be soft when you take it out of the oven. It will harden and get crunchy as it cools.
* Make sure to store in air tight container to avoid going stale or soft!
I would LOVE to hear if anyone tries any fun alternatives!! Next time I may try almond extract rather than vanilla, or adding freeze dried raspberries as well!! :)